Sunday, February 21, 2010

Who knew?


Forwarded from a friend of a friend -- a lithograph of a kitty by Anderson Cooper's mother, aka Gloria Vanderbilt!

From her artist's statement:

Often my images are channeled in dreams which find expression in my paintings often in a narrative quality which has
been shuffled around in the kaleidoscope of my imagination to find themselves in colors and patterns that sustain me.
Memory is also a driving influence, memories I absorb and reinvent to changing effect because I have changed but do not
want to let them go. Color too intoxicates, inspires, so does the beauty of a person, who has something I can’t quite catch.
They become muses which I become obsessed to define, reveal something of their mystery.

But most of all my inspiration is appetite for life – Mary Oliver’s poem comes to mind, “Messenger” begins, “My work is loving
the world.” As Amy Hempel has said, it is “a poem of the miraculous in the everyday…‘which is mostly standing still and learning to be astonished.’ How fascinating it is to find what influences and inspires, what is filtered out and becomes flotsam winding ‘somewhere safe to sea,’ and yet is never lost because it has found life in a story, a painting, a song.”

No comments:

Post a Comment